NZ Music Month 2020 – Support local. Stream local. Follow local. Buy local.
Written by Admin on May 1, 2020
This May marks the twentieth NZ Music Month, and while a big month of live events and retrospection was planned, the world has changed a lot in the past month – so NZ Music Month 2020 is set to look a little different to usual. While we are in our homes, there are still plenty of ways Kiwis can support local music, the people who create it, and the people who make it possible.
The theme for NZ Music Month is simple: Support local. Stream local. Follow local. Buy local.
Base FM continues to proudly support local music and with the help of NZ On Air Music, we have quite a few features and shows dedicated to showcasing our local artists:
- Native Tongues with Yannika – Mondays 3pm-4pm: A 1 hour show dedicated to uncovering the freshest in underground music from Aotearoa.
- In The Neighbourhood with Ian Beatmaster Wright – Thursdays 7.30am-10am: 100% New Zealand Music Breakfast Show. A mix of new releases & classic material, reflecting the growing history of NZ music as it relates to Base FM.
- Indigenous Dubs – Fridays 2pm-3pm – A 1 hour music mix featuring locally produced tracks. Themed shows, event previews and guest mixes.
- Talking Points – An on-air/online album review of a local release, past or present with a key figure of the local music scene.
- Local Eyes – A weekly feature showcasing a local music video.
- Breaking Artists – A monthly feature where we pick 3 tracks from 3 local artists and play them loud and proud on Base regularly throughout the month.
Here’s some more info around what’s happening this month:
The NZ Music Month Summit will return on Saturday 23rd May as an online event in collaboration with the NZ Music Manager’s Forum. There will be discussions with NZ artists and music industry professionals around the NZ Music Month theme of supporting our local music industry. More exciting details to follow on guest speakers and panels.
The hugely popular NZ Music T-Shirt Day returns on Friday May 29th, with Kiwis encouraged to wear their favourite music t-shirt and donate to the MusicHelps Lives appeal. The charity is providing vital support to Kiwi music people affected by COVID-19. New Zealanders can text MUSIC to 2448 to donate $3 or visit the Givealittle page.
This year NZ Music Month is bringing back the Hallenstein Brothers partnership with three unique printed tees, designed by local NZ artists available to purchase from the www.hallensteins.com/nzmusicmonth. Proceeds from the T-shirt sales will be donated to MusicHelps.
NZ Music Month is a promotion run by the NZ Music Commission that takes place each May, in association with other organisations including NZ On Air, Recorded Music New Zealand, APRA, The Music Managers Forum, and Independent Music NZ. And NZ Music Month could not succeed without the support of the country’s labels, media, the general public, and, most importantly, the artists themselves.
For more information, news and other events check out www.nzmusicmonth.co.nz