2020 Pacific Music Awards announce live event
Written by Admin on August 5, 2020
After postponing the Pacific Music Awards earlier in the year, the Pacific Music Awards Trust has announced that a live event will be going ahead on Wednesday 30 September at the BNZ Theatre, Vodafone Events Centre, Manukau.
The Base Breakfast crew spoke to Event Producer & Trustee, Petrina Togi-Sa’ena about the upcoming event and some of the challenges the Trust faced with planning due to the Covid-19 lockdown and restrictions.
The Trust is dedicated to celebrating Pacific music and honouring Pacific artists and this commitment was a core aspect of the decision to host the awards ceremony this year.
The 2020 Pacific Music Awards will celebrate music released by Pacific artists in 2019, acknowledging music in all genres and languages. This year they received the largest number of entries in the history of Pacific Music Awards, which confirmed we have a strong and active Pacific music community.
In April, the Pacific Music Awards Trust took on the challenge to host the Finalist Announcement as a live online event in which they had a fantastic response which allowed for national and international audience. During May, NZ Music Month, the voting was open for the SunPix People’s Choice Award – Best Pacific Artist. All the 2020 finalists were eligible for this award, with the winner determined by public vote. It received the highest number of votes to date for this award. Check out the finalist announcement video here:
“Our new financial circumstances have meant we will reduce the scale of the awards and it will be invitation only event. We are happy to remain at our home for the awards, the Vodafone Events Centre and look forward to returning to the theatre part of the venue, where we hosted the awards during 2006 – 2013.”
The award categories to be presented at the 2020 Pacific Music Awards, will be as follows:
· Auckland Council Best Pacific Female Artist
· NZ Music Commission Best Pacific Male Artist
· Flava Best Pacific Group
· SunPix Best Pacific Language
· PMN Best Pacific Gospel Artist
· Base FM NZ & Island Base Samoa Best Pacific Hip Hop Artist
· Best Pacific Soul/RnB Artist
· Pato Entertainment Best Roots/Reggae Artist
· APRA Best Pacific Song
· NZ On Air Best Pacific Music Video
· Red Bull Best Producer
· PMN Best International Pacific Artist
· Recorded Music NZ Best Pacific Music Album (nb: NZ Music Award ‘Tui’)
· Phillip Fuemana Most Promising Pacific Artist
· NZ On Air Radio Airplay Award
· NZ On Air Streaming Award
· SunPix People’s Choice Award – Best Pacific Artist
· Ministry of Pacific Peoples – Special Recognition Award
· Manukau Institute of Technology Lifetime Achievement Award
The 2020 awards ceremony will be filmed by SunPix, for broadcast as a television special on Tagata Pasifika on Saturday 10 October and will also be streamed live on the night.
The 2020 Pacific Music Awards will be a collective positive community celebration of Pacific music, honouring and recognising the talents and amazing work of our Pacific artists.
For more information head over to www.pacificmusicawards.org.nz
Follow the Pacific Music Awards